The Manhattan Paper Challenge, Be a Part of It!
In Partnership With
The Latest Standings
In honor of Earth Day, we announce the winners of the 3rd quarter of the Manhattan Paper Challenge:
- 1st Place, Manhattan Community Board 11 (East Harlem) — New York Common Pantry
- 2nd Place, Manhattan Community Board 3 (Lower East Side & East Village) — Hamilton-Madison House
- 3rd Place, Manhattan Community Board 1 (Downtown Manhattan) — Womankind
3rd Quarter Results
About the Manhattan Paper Challenge
To increase awareness regarding paper recycling participation and generation in Manhattan through the community, schools, and citizens, with the paramount issue of “Saving Our Environment.”
1. A competition in Manhattan between the Community Boards (12) from July 1st, 2019 through June 30, 2020.
2. Each quarter, the top 3 ranked Community Boards will be announced. The Office of the Manhattan Borough President, the Solid Waste Advisory Board, and the winning Community Boards will select participating Paper Challenge and waste reduction, recycling and reuse organizations to award grants. The quarterly awards will be distributed as follows: 1st Place $5k, 2nd Place $3k and 3rd Place $2k, for the greatest increase of paper collected by DSNY per Community Board from the previous year’s quarter.
3. The annual prize awards will be 1st Place $20k, 2nd $10k, and 3rd $5k, for the greatest % increase for the entire year awarded to organizations within the winning Community Boards as outlined. Total Contribution is $75k
1. Each quarter all groups attend a brief breakfast ceremony in Manhattan, where awards would be distributed.
2. Annual Ceremony Luncheon honoring all.
Note: Prize donations will only be awarded to top 3 Community districts who achieve a positive % increase in each quarter and annual period.